Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Chapel Choir Memories

I was fortunate enough to go on three Chapel Choir summer tours: two trips out west to Colorado Springs sandwiched by a trip north to Rochester New York. There are tons of great memories from these trips…

On choir tour Revelation was singing, and the rest of the Chapel Choir was seated behind them. Seven-foot tall Charles Vaughan was singing, and a huge spider was crawling on the back of his light grey suit coat. The entire Chapel Choir was watching the spider. The spider crawled up toward the top of his shoulder and it looked like the spider was going to continue on to the front of the coat, where the congregation would see the spider. But the spider stopped, and eventually turned around and went back down Charles’ back. Charles was actually only 6’9” tall, but every time I tell the story he gets taller.

Later on the same choir tour we sang in Amarillo Texas. before the concert we ate a covered dish dinner. Later in the choir tour we learned the Amarillo lady who made the taco salad had come down with hepatitis, so all choir members who ate the taco salad had to get shots at a hospital.

In Colorado Springs we went door to door, surveying the homes for where they went to church. One person said they were agnostic. Sherri Hall went to the next question on the list: Were they a devout agnostic, or just a regular agnostic?

After taking another survey in Rochester New York, Ginny Green and I were supposed to be picked up. We were stranded for at least an hour. We sat in the grass and had a nice chat. It was in Rochester where we arrived at our host church, where we eat our meals before conducting the neighborhood surveys. A Coke truck rolled up and delivered a huge supply of Cokes, thanks to pianist Norma McDonald. Norma worked at Coke headquarters as an executive secretary.

In Lexington Kentucky one of the choir tour busses had the air conditioner go out, so they opened the small hatches on the top of the bus. As we drove through downtown Lexington Dick and Bill Jarrell conducted a puppet show, with the puppets sticking out on top of the bus. Those of us in the second bus roared with laughter.

Memorable places the Chapel Choir sang “Hallelujah Amen” included deep inside Mammoth Cave in Kentucky and the famous Air Force Academy Chapel in Colorado Springs.

On both Colorado Springs trips I tremendously enjoyed visiting the “Flying W Ranch.”  The “highlight” was dinner time, when an authentic chuckwagon supper was served to every visitor in five minutes. Served on an old tin tray, dinner consisted of a slab of roast beef, a baked potato, a roll, and applesauce. Water was served in old tin cups. After everyone was seated the servers put on a western show, with singing, dancing, skits, and comedy. Looking at the Flying W website, I am sad to report that the Flying W burned down last summer during a canyon fire.

On choir tour we had secret prayer partners that were supposed to write encouraging notes to. When Anne McKibbon was my secret prayer partner I bought her a china cup & saucer. Later I gave her an “Eat More Possum” bumper sticker.

Back in the early 80’s the Number One TV show was Dallas. On the day the choir tour busses drove through Dallas, Don Head and I broke our kazoos. Every time anyone mentioned the work “Dallas” we would play the theme to the TV show.

The whole way to Texas Fred O couldn't stop talking about this girl he met at seminary. I had gone to high school with Cindy Connor, and told Fred O that she wasn't the girl for him. Guess I was wrong.

After several hours riding down the highway in the tour bus, we would all get anxious for the next stop, and wonder what restaurant we would stop at. More often than not, thanks to Margaret Condra’s influence, we would stop at Dairy Queen.

Since all the guys on choir tour wore the same exact tie, the younger guys would invariably misplace their tie. I created the “Fred O Pitts Autograph Tie Night” for the first night out on tour. Fred O autographed the back of everyone’s tie, personalizing each one with the owner’s name. No more lost ties. Though I haven't worn that tie in many years, it rests on the tie rack in my closet to this day.

On the subject of choir tour outfits, I had forgotten about the beltless white pants we wore on our first trip to Colorado. David Hall was kind enough to post a photo on Facebook. I honestly almost did not recognize myself. 

Every year on choir tour each person had a roommate. Each night after the concert we would go home with our host family. One year my choir tour roommate was Scott Atchison. When our host asked what we wanted for breakfast Scott immediately replied “Quiche Lorraine!”  Another time a host took us out to breakfast at a restaurant. The service was slow, and when we arrived at the church everyone else was already loaded into the busses waiting for us. In Monroe Arkansas we rode home with the teenagers in our host family. Their house was several miles down a winding, narrow country road. The driver was going much to fast, and I feared we would crash.  

In the Sanctuary Choir production of Living Pictures I played Doubting Thomas, meaning I sat next to Jesus (Craig MacKenzie) in the famous Last Supper scene. I was only cast a few weeks before the performances. This gave me little time to grow my beard. Fred O, playing another disciple, kept encouraging me to work harder at growing my beard.

In the production of “Isaiah” my costume included tights, worn under a tunic. That costume will never be forgotten. Or repeated.     

One Sunday night the Chapel Choir sang during the evening service. During the service a friend I hadn’t seen in several years came in and sat down front near the piano. When the choir came down out of the loft, instead of sitting down by the organ as usual, I walked all the way to the back, went out the door, and came back in on the other side and sat by my friend. Later Mr. Condra told me that all the high school boys had followed me out the door – but they didn’t return.

What choir memories did I leave out?

No comments: