Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Hudson Repercussions

July 25: The moment Hudson got stepped on I knew the injury could be serious. I was thinking Achilles. Don’t know if it was good or bad that Hudson’s wife and family were there. Lang was at the game. His first thought was when Greg Olson got hurt back in the early 90’s. Other injuries crossed my mind, like Joe Thiesman. More so than other nights my attention was on the rest of the game, and I continued to watch most of the postgame show.

A bad injury like Hudson’s is why any talk of who Beachy or Wood would replace is useless. Beat writer Dave O’Brien didn’t want to mention injuries, but fans have been asking him all season who Beachy would replace, and DOB refused to answer. This is why. Now people are wondering whether the Braves will trade for another starter. I hope they stick with what they’ve got.

Like my friend, another of the first things I thought about was how last night was Hudson’s last game in a Braves uniform. Even coming back from an injury he will command much more money from any other team. Hudson would give the Braves a home town discount, but unless several starters fall flat on their face the rest of the way, Hudson won’t be back.   

Maholm is on the disabled list. We’ll see if he gets his job back. Wood’s start this afternoon will be interesting. Beachy replaces Hudson. Like Hudson, Maholm is gone after this year anyway.  

July 26: Seems like everywhere the Braves play there are plenty of Braves fans. The love to show them on the telecast. Although the game didn’t have my undivided attention, after I saw your tweet I was on the lookout for you.

I like it when fans where jerseys to games, and I love jerseys, but I usually have a hard time wearing one to the game. I’d rather wear a plain shirt and a Braves cap. Rob takes his daughter to every Friday night game, and each year they decide which player jersey to wear. Since it was Dale Murphy night I wore my cheap-o light blue Murphy replica jersey. I did buy a light blue polyester Braves shirt. It has the lower-case a from the seventies.  I’m thinking about getting a cream colored Uecker jersey, but it wouldn’t be any good unless I wear it.

No comments: