Tuesday, July 23, 2013

When In Rome

Friday I left work at 3:40. Wanted to leave earlier. 285 traffic was heavy, as was the traffic on 75 north. Then I had to stop for gas. Pulled in to Rome's State Mutual Stadium around 5:45. Long line to get into the main gates, which were to open at six. But I'd noticed the rightfield gate was already open, and I was able to walk right in and get my Craig Kimbrel bobble-arm (later I discovered it is more like a less desirable figurine).  

Since batting practice was still going on, I headed toward the steep grassy bank in rightfield. Saw my Turner Field BP buddies Marshall and John. John was being attended to by EMT's. He had slipped chasing a ball on the bank and broken his wrist. Said he was in a great deal of pain, and he looked it. He had to ride to the hospital in an ambulance. At least it was his left wrist. Gonna put a damper on his BP shagging. Maybe I should let him borrow one of my left-handed gloves.

Raul Mondesi Jr stood out for Lexington: a skinny shortstop. Hit a long first-inning home run into bullpen in right center. Lots of speed. Tried to bunt the next time up. .265 average with seven home runs.

Wren played centerfield. Not very tall. .316 average. Decent speed. Bunted for a hit, and later stretched a single into a double. he won't be able to do that in Triple A. Then Wren stole third, and scored on a single. Not exactly a cannon for an arm.

Level of play much worse than Gwinnett. Pitchers were more dominant than hitters.

Left after the bottom of the 8th with Rome losing.

Saturday morning we drove over and picked up the CR-V. Ceil really likes it. Gas mileage should be much better than the van. Saturday afternoon I was out looking at the car. Matthew came out and wanted to know if the raised SUTHERLIN MALL of GEORGIA sticker could be removed. I wanted to take it off as well. When I got it off, I took it inside and gave it to Matthew. Later I saw that he had put it up in his room.

Did a bunch of laundry on Sunday.

No comments: