Sunday, November 23, 2014

F-U-M-B-L-E

Recently I was reminded of my college days, when the BSU gang would sit together at football games. Fred O and I (and later Jim Johnson) would initiate cheers in the east stands upper deck student section.

My favorite was the Fumble cheer, where we would spell out the word F-U-M-B-L-E and cheer the word twice. I started adding my own words for fun: BUMBLE, RUMBLE, STUMBLE, HUMBLE, and MUMBLE. We’d pronounce humble with the silent H, and for mumble we’d just mutter “mmmmm…” twice.

The cheers were always spur of the moment, and never planned out in advance. It wasn’t like 2014 when I sit in front of a computer and type things out. Had I planned the cheers ahead of time I might’ve added the following words: CRUMBLE, GRUMBLE, JUMBLE, and TUMBLE.

Over the years my comedic mind has become more twisted. If I were still leading the same cheer today I would add some of the following words: BRAMBLE, RAMBLE, SHAMBLE, TRAMPLE, TROMBONE, GUMMBO, GOOGLE, and YAHOO. And maybe JUS-TIN and THO-MAS.

Reminds me of working at the Omni International Chickfila. We re-wrote the “I am a C” song for Chickfila…

I am a C
I am a C-H
I am a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N
And I have C-H-R-I-S-T in my H-E-A-R-T
And I will L-I-V-E   E-T-E-R-N-A-L-L-Y

I am a C
I am a C-H
I am a C-H-I-C-K-F-I-L-A
And I have C-H-I-C-K  ‘N’ my M-O-U-T-H
and I will R-E-G-U-R-G-I-T-A-T-E   I-T

No comments: