Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Friday on the Go

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday were a blurr. Didn’t have any leftovers to take for lunch Thursday, so I used a Burger King coupon for a Whopper Junior. Not the greatest. After I worked late I gassed up the CRV on the way home, since I had driven it all week. Then I had to meet Will over near I-75 and swap out cars with him. UGA had Friday off, so he was headed to Rome to visit Joel. Before I handed over my Civic I topped off the gas tank. When I drove home in Will’s Jeep I saw it was almost out of gas. Anna went out to eat with her friends.

Friday morning I ran Will’s car through the car wash. The check engine light was on, so it failed the emissions test. Then I dropped it off at the shop it Roswell. Ceil picked me up, and I finally got to work at 9:40. Grabbed a couple of Egg McMuffins on the way. Worked four hours, then left at 2 pm. Drove straight to the shop. They only charged me $80 to pass the emissions, and the check engine light is off. Ceil, Anna, and Matthew met me at the shop, and I took off with Matthew to Woodstock for his 3:45 guitar lesson. Checked emails and worked the smart phone during his lesson, then drove him north to Sarah’s house in Canton. Arrived at 5:05, then drove home.

Picked up Ceil and immediately left for Chipotle and their $3.00 Halloween burritos. I more my Bob Uecker Braves jersey, and she wore some cat ears. Last year we went earlier and stood in a long line with young parents and their young kids. This year at 6:30 the place was full of teenagers, but we were able to walk up and immediately order. Then another huge crowd of teenagers came in behind us.

After Chipotle we drove down to Perimeter Mall, since there was still time for trick-or-treaters in the neighborhood. The mall was full of mostly minority parents with their kids, going store to store trick-or-treating. Most of the stores were handing out candy. I walked a lap inside the mall, then met back up with Ceil. She wanted to go one more place. As I walked back out of Nordstroms I saw Bill Reed off in the distance, and he spotted me. Bill was sitting in the mall waiting for Sarah, so I sat and talked to him. In the meantime Ceil ran into Sarah. They were talking as they walked toward us.

Drove Ceil home and later drove up to Birmingham to retrieve Matthew. The wind was really blowing, and I saw a FEW snowflakes. Anna was spending the night at Emily. They dressed up as a ghost and a princess. Matthew was the Fresh Prince. So I was on the road from 2 pm to after 11 pm. Will went to Mary-Clayton’s brother’s football game, where the weather was bad. Later he went to a party at David Norman’s house, and got home after we had gone to bed.

Saturday morning I cleaned upstairs. After a late breakfast and the end of ESPN College Gameday I continued with the laundry and housework. Will helped my get the winter clothes from the attic. At 3:30 Matthew drove us over to the hall’s to watch the game. I watched Tech on Will’s computer, and we had Georgia / Florida on the big screen. We ate BBQ, chips and queso, and salad. Later we made root beer floats. Matthew rode his skateboard home. After the game we stayed and talked. Went to bed and missed the end of the Tennessee comeback.

Early Sunday Will drove back to Athens. C and I went to Johnson Ferry Baptist. Scott and Robin Condra were in our Sunday School class. The lesson was on making the most of our time, and an episode of the Andy Griffith show was shown. Later Ceil fixed a casserole. She and M went to PCC, and later Anna drove down to her church. I cleaned the kitchen, but tried to take it easy after such an active weekend. Watched Wallenda and later went to bed early.  
   
Typical Monday evening. Worked until 5:45 and drove straight home. Ceil cooked a ground beef and bowtie pasta casserole. Also salad. Good conversation during dinner. I loaded the dishwasher and worked some on the computer. Sold three things on eBay. Went to bed early.

BRAVES: I would’ve loved it if the Braves could’ve hired Joe Maddon after he left Tampa. But he’s not the Braves type – too unconventional. The fans that complain that the Braves haven’t won the World Series since 1995 don’t read that the Giants went 56 years between pennants, or that the Royals hadn’t been to the playoffs since 1985. Fans aren’t good at counting their blessings, or looking around to see how bad other teams are doing. Fans have little empathy. Saved the Thursday AJC sports section so I could quote the 2014 starting pitchers’ statistics. The Braves starters ranked 5th in the majors with a 3.42 ERA, 2nd in innings pitched (1014.3), and 4th in strikeouts (868). Braves’ pitching has improved every season since Roger McDowell took over as the pitching coach. Still think starting pitching is the problem?  

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: Right now there doesn’t seem to be a super dominant team that’s really on a roll, like FSU and Auburn were last year. Not sure about Oregon or TCU. Mississippi State isn’t shabby, but they may only be Auburn’s equal. But there is still time for a team to immerge as dominant. But didn’t MSU already beat Auburn? If MSU wins out, they’re in the final four. Auburn will have to win out and beat UGA and Alabama in impressive fashion to make the final four. Losing that one game might hurt them.

PREDICTIONS: Chubb carried 21 times Saturday for 156 yards. Another 10-15 carries (and fewer pass plays) would’ve helped. Of course, I’m the guy who thinks paul Johnson calls too many passes. Kentucky is good, but Georgia will be mad and fired up and win that game.

Right now I wouldn’t pick against Tech. Not sure I would pick South Carolina. Florida could let down and lose, even at Vandy.

Clemson should beat Wake. QB Stoudt is improving. Wake could pull an upset, but man they are bad. Clemson’s defense could shut them out – but Wake could score on special teams or interceptions/fumbles. Clemson has to be the pick.

No comments: