Saturday, November 22, 2014

ACC Division Champs

Watched Duke/UNC and loved it. Could’ve been even more of a blowout – NC blew three straight scoring opportunities in the red zone. Both teams suffered from numerous mistakes from their supposedly athletic/play-making quarterbacks. UNC QB Marquise Williams sacks and fumbles gave Duke plenty of chances to come back. ESPN’s David Pollock was spot on, reminding viewers that UNC’s weak defense made no lead safe. Boone’s poor play and turnovers lost the game for Duke. Coach David Cutcliffe had done a great job in Durham, building a worthy advisory to Georgia Tech. Duke is now 4-3 in the weak ACC. They’ll beat Wake, but they’re really not that good.

The Jackets have now won the ACC Coastal Division four times in Paul Johnson’s seven years – not too bad of a record. As I have said, of all the Coastal teams Tech provides FSU the toughest competition in the ACC Championship Game. As Mark Bradley wrote not long after UNC’s win, FSU has trailed against opponent after opponent this year. Should Tech take a lead and win the time of possession battle, FSU could struggle to win. With a more experienced Justin Thomas back under center next year, a healthy stable of talented running backs, and an improved defense, Tech should be the favorite to win the division again next year. Miami is improving, but Duke has peaked, Virginia Tech is in shambles, and UNC could be on probation.

Thomas’ Total QB Rating is higher than Winston’s, or any other ACC QB. Thomas has also rushed for the most yards. Justin is deserving of the ACC Player of the Year and first team All-ACC, though the North Carolina-centered press will probably ignore Thomas in favor of the more mistake-prone Williams or Boone.. Voters could also ignore Winston’s numerous transgressions and give the honors to him. Either scenario would be a travesty.

Not sure this birth in the ACC Championship game helps GT’s Orange Bowl chances. Should Tech lose the next two games (and they probably will) they could fall behind Duke or Clemson or Louisville in the rankings. The Orange Bowl invites the top ranked ACC school not headed to the playoff. While it’s doubtful Duke or Clemson will sufficiently rebound, should FSU lose to rival Florida they’d get the Orange Bowl nod. Louisville could also sneak ahead. This could once again drop Tech to a third tier bowl game, though the Peach Bowl often takes the second-highest rated ACC team. The Peach would much rather grab Louisville’s rabid fan base. Since the Jackets are headed to Charlotte for the ACC Championship, they won’t be invited back to the Belk Bowl. If NYC’s Pinstripe doesn’t take Tech, there could be another Sun Bowl trip in the Jacket’s future.  

Last Saturday: at the Tech/Clemson game the lady in front of my got the loaded nachos. Actually looked like tater tots with maybe BBQ. Looked very good.

Tuesday: Ceil took her mother to Athens Tuesday to visit Will. They brought back UGA shirts for A and M. They returned earlier than I expected, around 8 pm. I gassed up all three cars last night so none would have to be filled up when it was so cold on Wednesday. My low fuel light was on, so I filled up on the way home. Anna’s Jeep had 16 miles to empty, so I used Kroger points at Shell. While moving the CRV I saw it had 44 miles to empty, so I had to go out again.

Wednesday: My shoulder had been hurting for almost a month. Thought it was bursitis (whatever that is) or something. Wasn’t getting better. This morning at 5:45 am Barney jumped up on the bed like he usually does, and started his usual rooting around my pillow and head. He stepped on my shoulder and popped it back into place. No more pain!

Will was home. Anna was at art. Ceil cooked chili. TV was on a Food Network show. I caught up on emails. Will is driving to Ohio tomorrow with MC’s older sister to look at a school for her.

Thursday: Soup and salad for supper. Ceil and her mom had eaten lunch with Nancy at Noelle’s, and had brought home the leftover soup. M and A went to the premiere of the new Hunger Games movie.

Friday: Everyone in the office brought in breakfast items this morning, so I am stuffed. Breakfast casseroles, breakfast burritos, biscuits, bagels, doughnuts, sweet rolls, OJ, chocolate milk, two types of sausage, muffins, and more. I brought a huge crock pot of grits that Ceil cooked this morning. Tried to stay away from the bread and grits, but I did have a few sweets. More breakfast for lunch.

Not long ago I lost my credit card and couldn’t find it. Finally ordered a replacement. Took my car to the carwash and they cleaned out the insides. When I got in my car they had found the credit card. I keep losing my black wallet. I need to get a bright yellow wallet.

No comments: