Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Death of the Newspaper

Talking about papers makes me remember that years ago down at the beach, early every morning my father in law would go out to get a paper. He's always walk out and let the door close behind him (like everyone else except me). The door would slam and sound like an earthquake to the people sleeping in the room next to the door (me).

Anyway, if the paper boxes downstairs didn't have the Charlotte paper he wanted, there was an old convenience store across the street that would have the paper. Years ago that store was town down, leaving an empty lot where beachgoers park. Few remember the store. Then he's have to drive a half mile to the Bi-Lo or Kroger for the paper. Lately even the Columbia paper has been scarce.

As a kid in Macon we got the Macon paper and the AJC. Jesse Outlar and Furman Bisher and Lewis Grizzard and Harley Bowers were icons to me. I wouldn't devour the paper, but it was always there.

At Tech we'd get the paper at the Baptist Center, and I got in the habit of reading it in the morning, and on the weekends with Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Some students would want different sections: the sports, the crossword, the funnies. For years I'd read the comics until it was finally too time consuming. I'd want to leaf through every section: front page, metro, living, and sports.

On social media the AJC posts outrageous headlines about the most controversial topics, in an effort to garner clicks on stories. They go out of their way to persecute Christians, Chickfila, and the Braves, knowing readers will jump on the bandwagon regardless of what the true facts are. A recent article called out a Christian pastor of a small church for saying wives should submit to the leadership of their husbands, though the AJC (or few other media outlets) rarely if ever points out Islam's brutal and far worse treatment on women (and gays). The AJC also bashed the ark that recently opened in Kentucky, as did a host of commenters. My post: the first ark was ridiculed as well.

People wonder why the newspaper industry is dying. They've lower themselves down to the level of the tabloids, forsaking impartial, serious journalism in favor of the lowest common denominator in an effort to remain relevant.  

It was at the Baptist Center where I started reading Sports Illustrated. As a kid I'd get one magazine for a while and then another, whatever my mom would sign me up for. Sport was better than the science magazine or Boys Life, which only had a couple of pages that interested me (the jokes and puzzles). Sports Illustrated beat them all.

When I moved out of the BSU in 1983 I got my own SI subscription, and have missed few issues since. I used to read them cover to cover, but these days it's hard. Great articles, columns, features, and photographs. Breaking news. Sport magazine came out monthly and was far less topical. They would use old, dated photos to go with much more general material. Even a kid could tell the difference in quality.

I have saved most all my SI's since 1983 – over 30 years' worth. Over 1700 issues. They're stashed all around the house in boxes. I wish I could sell them.

For Monday's lunch meeting we had wraps, salad, chips, and cookies from Atlanta Bread. Taco salad for dinner. Someone brought in Atlanta Bread again today, but I brought the leftover chicken and gravy. Sunday we ate C's OK Café leftovers: brisket and homemade pimento cheese.

A special project kept me at work Monday until 6:15. C was grocery shopping so I check emails when I got home. After supper M and I gassed up two of the cars (with an $0.87 per gallon discount). Also hit Kroger. That took up most of the evening, but I did see some of the Olympics.

Drove M's old Buick to work today. Rode well, but the oil light was on. Stopped by Kroger to top it off, and the light went off. Got another lesson for M.

We stay at the same place every year at North Myrtle Beach. This year the newspaper stands had been removed.

No comments: