Saturday, August 27, 2016

Ten Under

Beautiful day for a golf tournament, the 19th annual Middleton Reunion Tourney, held at White Plains. Above: Will tees off on the 12th hole.

I hit a few good shots on the practice range, than contributed immediately: my approach shot on the first hole (a seven iron) was closest to the pin.

I hit a few putts and came close on several more. I usually was one of the first to putt, to give the other guys a read.

We birdied the first two holes, both par fours. Will didn't have his best day, but ripped several drives down the middle of the fairway. On the par four eleventh hole, his drive rolled a couple of yards short of the bunker guarding the front of the green.

Our team was five under par on both the front and back nine, finishing one shot behind the three groups who tied for first, at eleven under par.

Rusty, Phil, and Lennie were one of those teams. They were the first group to tee off. After they finished, Lennie and Corinne rode out in a cart to watch us play 14 and 15.

On the par three 16th hole, two of the first three tee shots failed to clear the lake. Will's ball found dry land, but on the wrong side of a bunker. Having exhausted our mulligans, our bid for victory was looking grim. I stepped up and pegged my shot straight at the hole. I could tell I had clanked it a little, and worried it would find water. But the shot landed just short of the green, renewing hope. Fortunately Tracy followed me with a shot to two feet, and another birdie.

All four of my shots on 18 were decent. My tee shot was one of the two playable tee shots available to use, just slightly worse than the one we hit. Same with our second shot. When I arrived to hit our approach, I realized Ceil and her mom were there watching the groups finish. I hadn't hit an 8 iron all day, but hit it closest again. I just missed the birdie putt, but Will followed me, and sank it.

No comments: