Sunday, August 14, 2016

Myths About Introverts

Top ten misconceptions/assumptions about introverts, an article from www.onmogul.com – myths that need to be burst before one more person goes all Judge Judy about introverts. See link to the article below. My comments are in parenthesis.
 
Introverts don’t like to talk. Not true. They just don’t talk unless they have something to say. Introverts hate small talk. Some extroverts feel uncomfortable if there’s a pause in the conversation, or if they’re not talking.
 
Introverts are shy. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t mingle just for the heck of it.
 
Introverts are rude. They don’t beat around the bush with social pleasantries. Introverts want everyone to be real and honest. Unfortunately this is not always the case. Trying to fit in can be exhausting.
 
Introverts don’t like people. On the contrary, introverts intensely value the friends they have. Once you’ve earned their respect as a person of substance, you’re in.
 
Introverts don’t like to go out in public. They just don’t like to go out for as long. They like to avoid the complexities and complications and inconveniences that are involved in public activities: traffic, crowds, lines, bad weather, etc. Introverts take in data and experiences very quickly and as a result don’t need to be there for long to get stuck in a complication. They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for introverts (that’s what my blog is for).
 
Introverts always want to be alone. Introverts are comfortable with their own thoughts. They don’t need to share every thought with five people. Introverts think a lot, and daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve (many extroverts aren’t that patient).  
 
Introverts are weird. Introverts are individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. Introverts think for themselves and often challenge the norm. They don’t make decisions based on what’s popular or trendy. (I’m weird because I want to be, not because I’m an introvert. Sometimes I want to grow my hair out long just to be weirder. I like small zippy cars instead of middle-aged man sedans or great big hard-to-park pickup trucks).
 
Introverts are aloof nerds. Actually introverts primarily look inward, paying close attention to what’s going on around them. (People think I’m smart, I think because I don’t say much. Extroverts would rather ask a question (so they can talk more?) than look it up themselves. I don’t know that much, I just know how to look up the answer).
 
Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun. They typically relax at home, not in busy public places (what’s fun with that?). Introverts are not thrill seekers or adrenaline junkies (parachute jumping? No thanks) If there is too much talking and noise, they could shut down (I love being in a huge crowd cheering a big play. But if someone asks me a question then keeps talking and talking without pausing to listen at my answer…).
 
Introverts can fix themselves and become extroverts. Introverts deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to humanity. There are plenty of things introverts do that extroverts can’t (And why would I want to become an extrovert?).
 

No comments: