Monday, June 18, 2018

Danger Will Robinson

Anna went mountain climbing today - on the pile of rocks next to her house.
Friday was busy. Lots of last minute stuff, including entering orders for a Saturday delivery and the regular Monday delivery. Plus our sales meeting. Ate a big plate of BBQ pork (I missed on the BBQ chicken). Potato salad, tossed salad, mac and cheese, banana pudding. I skipped the baked beans. Later I had seconds on potato salad.

Left for SunTrust Park 30 minutes later than I had wanted to. Walked a mile and a half uphill from my parking place. As usual when I started my walk, I hit the button on my phone to track the walk: distance, time, time, temperature (91 degrees), pace, and heart rate (an average of 139 beats per minute during the walk, which is normal for me). Got to the gate and hit stop on the stopwatch. I was in the front of the line in the shade. Took off my cap so my head could cool.

I felt normal, but about ten minutes after I had arrived my watch vibrated: the heart rate monitor had detected that during the five minutes after my walk, my heart rate hadn't gone down. Instead it averaged 140-145 BPM. For the next hour I closely monitored my heart rate, which gradually went down from 129 to 110 to 90. Sometimes these monitors aren't the most accurate. I called Will and talked to him. He thought I'd be ok. Taking that walk in the heat while my stomach was trying to digest that big meal wasn't very smart.

While waiting for the gates to open I noticed a sign pointing to the first aid station. I considered going, but after gathering bobbles my heart rate had dropped even lower. I took it easy from 5:30 to 8:45, sitting in the shade with a breeze in my face. Feeling fine, I hit go on my watch and headed back to my car – downhill this time. With the sun having set, the temperature was considerably cooler. As I approached my car my concern wasn't my heart, but my sore feet: the cool-looking red sneakers I'd worn had worn blisters on my feet.

Stopped by RaceTrac for something to drink. This time my heart rate went down. Got home and plopped on the couch.

Saturday morning I cleaned upstairs. Finally got my summer clothes out of the attic, and hung them up. Got a stack of clothes to give away. Had to run to the bank but at first went to the wrong bank. Bought shipping boxes at Office Max. Was going to grab lunch but Del Taco wasn't accepting credit cards. Wendy's drive-thru was backed up. Went to Kroger and bought fixings for a quesadilla instead.

Later Ceil went grocery shopping. I watch the US Open, the Braves, and took a nap. Barney wasn't liking the thunderstorm.

The US Open. Good for Phil to protest. He saved strokes by getting a penalty called on himself! The Fox announcers couldn’t understand what he did. They kept saying he had “lost it.” They were wrong. He did it on purpose. Augusta National is a tough course, but it’s not unreasonable like the US Open.

Remember David Lewis, the former recreation assistant to David Downing? Rumor is, he is dating Sherri Hall, Harold Hall’s daughter. I think they were at Johnson Ferry yesterday, but I didn’t see them.

Sunday afternoon Anna drove over from Athens, and rode with Ceil, Matthew, and I down to meet W&MC at their nice new apartment behind the Howell Mill Chickfila. We threw a blanket on the floor and had a picnic: turkey sandwiches, a Mexican dip, chips, cobbler, and ice cream. Also played dominos. W&MC had brought over an SUV load of their stuff. They can walk to Publix, Kroger, Wal-Mart, Chickfila, Willy’s, and Fellini’s Pizza. The big move is June 30. MC will be working in Vinings. Will has another month of rotations in July, at his father-in-law’s practice in Cartersville. 

I always remember going to my grandfather's house on Hillpine, that years later I would buy. At the top of the stairs was a little bookcase built into the wall. There was a black elephant statue on that bookcase, and a stack of newspapers, including one from the JFK assassination. Never knew what happened to those papers, but I think they were gone before I bought the house.

I saw a clip of the last second Grizz Gaming win.

No comments: