Friday, November 22, 2013

Maddux: Unanimous HOF Choice?

Some say Maddux has a shot and being listed on every ballot. Several voters will probably mess that up. And with Glavine and Bobby also likely inductees, some might leave him off the ballot because they don’t want too many Braves going in the same year. Maddux will get the Chicago vote and Glavine some New York votes. Both should make it, but it’s a shame you have to wait and see about 300 game winners.

And my worry is with all the others on the expansion era ballot, Bobby might not get 75% of the vote. But several have been on the ballot before and not been votes in. When Joe Morgan is on the selection committee, anything can happen. December 9 isn’t too far away, nor January 8. When Will and I left Cooperstown we stopped for gas in Albany. We had to go that way due to the flooding.

Since every player deserves a bobblehead, I figured you were talking about the skinny outfielder Mike Kelly from the mid-90’s. Made me think of other obscure Braves outfielders, so as I was typing the Harper comment I originally thought about him falling over the fence…then realized a funnier bobblehead would be him windmilling his arm. Or maybe Rick Camp with a bat.

So my old Georgia Tech friend Steve Givens, who rarely comments on Facebook about anything, makes that off the wall comment about dollars per win: “$/win is a skewed stat when measuring who made the playoffs. Excel would flag as a circular reference” Huh? Am I missing something? I ranked all teams, then made observations about the playoff teams. I didn’t know how to respond to Steve.

Good New York Times article about the metro area. My dad sent me Bill Curry’s “Ten Men You Meet in the Huddle” – I have to read it by Thanksgiving. I’ve already read 3 of the 10 chapters. His high school coach at College Park, Bobby Dodd, Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke, Don Shula, Johnny Unitas, George Plimpton, Willie Davis, and Bubba Smith. So far very good. I’ll have to read Fall of Giants after I finish World Without End.

No comments: