Saturday, June 10, 2017

Bartolo Bobblehead Night

Another beautiful night for baseball at SunTrust Park.
Met LJ shortly after three and strolled to the park. He wanted to linger at the deceased player section, so I snapped a brick of the night. Always thought Rufino was a hitter. Number 25 in your program.
These days Bobby presides over the orange parking deck.
Found shade at the Chop House Gate, where my new friend awaited. He was there early at the Ender game a few weeks ago, genuinely excited in anticipation of securing his bobblehead. Asked him where his wife was, and he corrected me: "not wife - girlfriend." The guy has game!
Today's prize: the Bartolo Colon bobblehead.
Couldn't believe my eyes...
...I wasn't the only one in Atlanta with a 1969 home jersey.
Spotted this guy in a number 25 Rico Carty jersey. Cool.
At the end of the season the Braves are giving away several life-sized bobbleheads. Where do I sign up?
What a ticket looks like these days.
I did get two traditional paper tickets as well.
Gates opened and I went in and out three times to collect bobbles.
Went back and forth with bobblehead Bobby and nurse Corrine.
The Chief held the bobbles at his seat in centerfield. Afterward we had a nice chat. Below he shows off the glove Peter Moylan gave him on the occasion of his 1000th straight game.
Next I chatted with Bobby's mom (below left) and bobblehead queen Katie.
Can't believe Bobby has kids graduating from high school.
The grounds crew couldn't figure out where the infield was,
so they swept the outfield grass instead.
Chocolate Papa knows everyone - including former Brave John Rocker.
 Rocker was nice enough to pose with Darrell...
 ...but then someone must've made Rocker mad...
 ...and then the inevitable fisticuffs ensued.
My first game in the front row, with glass in front of me instead of a rail.
 Self-portrait.
From our seats we could look down the street
through The Battery all the way to Cobb Parkway.
Beautiful sunset. Panoramic view shows the glass railing.
Hilarious match race. At the end the kid raised his hands in victory, just as the fast guy passed him. Then the kid fell on his face.
Couldn't have been scripted better.
 
When I parked I tried to call Yearwood but got Harriet instead. She happened to be going to her first game at SunTrust Park, so I was able to sit with her and catch up for a few innings. A wonderful time.
Strawberry moon rising over the Home Depot Clubhouse.
Norman took this photo of the sunset.
Great game: the Braves won on a walkoff Rico Ruiz RBI single
after Dansby's hustle double.


No comments: