Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Braves vs. Braves

Tuesday afternoon the Braves tickets were available, so I snapped them up. The Future Stars game. Get it?
Checked with the guys in the office as well as Matthew and Ceil, but no one was available. Since I'd stayed out so late the night before I thought I'd go for a few innings. At the time it was just as cold as Monday, so I didn't want to subject you to those bitter elements.

Left work at five. Traffic was normal, heavy but not horrendous. With my parking pass I got a great spot. On my drive in I'd checked and couldn't see a good clockwise route to the Club House Gate, so I headed off toward the Left Field Gate. 
By the time I snapped another memorial brick photo, ushers were just opening the First Base Gate, so I was the first one inside. Didn't see my usher friend from Douglasville, but ran into my favorite Stinky Kroger bagboy.

The left field bleachers were at the opposite side of the stadium so continued by counterclockwise circumnavigation that way. There were just a smattering of fans there hoping for home run balls, but the Future Stars poked few that far. Rookie Ronald Acuna, still wearing number 82, did hit a few high, long fly balls into the stands, but none near me. The same usher from Monday came over, and we continued our chat. Last year was her first with the Braves, so she's not in the know about all the prospects.
After BP I continued counterclockwise, grabbing my Designated Drive Coke Zero and another Chop On doo-rag, meandering halfway around the stadium again to the main Club House Store. I'd seen that Bobblehead Queen Katie was at the game, and I ran into her coming out of the store. I invited her and her "Baseball Mom" to sit with me when they finished shopping.

With $40.00 to spend, it doesn't go a long way at a MLB stadium. With a collection of 14 Braves caps I still wasn't feeling spending on a Stripers cap. Maybe next year. Nice Under Armor dri-fit t-shirts were $38.00, but I already have three cotton tees already. Instead I checked out the long sleeve pullovers, settling on a grey Antigua Tempo golf pullover. I usually don't buy myself such nice garments. Now I have to get in shape so I'll look good in it.
Got to my seat and a man was sitting there with his son. I told him he didn't need to move, but he did anyway. Turned out the man was singing the national anthem. Katie and her mom joined me. The ladies had found the deal of the day: a Braves baseball, button, and pack of baseball cards all for one dollar. Later we greeted Blooper.
The Future Stars were warming up. 
As I snapped photos of Acuna, he let a high throw bounce into the stands near me. Luckily no one was hurt. 
After we chatted, lawyer/writer Howard, a hot stove regular,
took his usual seat in the front row (below in royal vest).
I was rockin my new Braves socks.
When the game began bobblehead czar Kevin came to sit with us, and we had a good time catching up. He has been in town "for business" and attended last night's game, as well as the Tuesday afternoon Dale Murphy signing. Says he trades bobbles and autographs to make money for his Mississippi State memorabilia habit. I was already planning to prank him this summer with reports of bogus Will Clark bobbles. Kevin face-timed his young family back in Birmingham. One of his kids is named Nola. Evidently Kevin doesn't smile for pictures.
Acuna was called out on strikes, and I implored Future Stars manager Bobby Cox to argue the call. Bobby was wearing his signature baseball spikes. Gotta love it.
The youngsters played like minor leaguers in the field, bobbling and booting balls. Both teams scored on wild pitches. Later Acuna lined a single to left, but he looked far from polished while chasing down a double in the gap. I'm sure he will be great, hopefully worthy of my purchase of his jersey. Danny Santana was wearing number 23 for the big Braves (but later he was optioned to the minors), so right now only 9, 13, 23, and 48 are available for Acuna, though two or three outfielders and/or pitchers will be cut or sent to the minors.
Centerfielder Cristian Pache hit two home runs over the short left field fence into the visitor's bullpen. Kevin knew they were Pache's first two professional home runs, in 752 career plate appearances.  

After Acuna's third at bat the four of us left our seats. Kevin said hello to the father of big third base prospect Austin Riley. I went for the ball/button/card deal, then left as the Home Depot Tool Race commenced. Stopped by RaceTrac and Taco Bell, arriving home at ten. Two games down, 81 to go.

No comments: