Wednesday, March 21, 2018

The Brannock Device

A graphic print Anna created was chosen to be displayed at a showing at Ponce City Market (below).   

Barely keeping up with my calendar scrapbook but I have all year for that. Same with computer calendar – seems like I’m doing good to update once a week. Also haven’t been updating my list of thrift store finds, though I haven’t been making as many purchases or even stopping off too look, since I’ve been working late and also because of the cold. Also I used to log my MPG whenever I bought gas or serviced the car, nor have I been logging purchases, much less organizing them by category.

I was just making a list of my favorite cars. That reminds me of a few other things I track, that I’m behind on updating: my list of games I’ve attended and my bobblehead list. It appears we need to go ahead and get a new roof on the house. That’s gonna hurt the old pocketbook big time.

Been doing good to get the bills paid. I have been posting to my blog though I’m really not spending tons of time on that. Not sure what’s happened. I have been working on the master list of this summer’s bobblehead giveaways at all the MLB parks (and many of the minor league stadiums). I’ve already got a lot. I’ll publish the list on the first of every month starting in April. Most interesting event happens in Syracuse, where the Chiefs honor the Brannock Device. Know what that is? Bet they had them at Muses!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Brannock_uspat1725334-fig1.png/1200px-Brannock_uspat1725334-fig1.png
en.wikipedia.org
The Brannock Device is a measuring instrument invented by Charles F. Brannock for measuring a person's shoe size. The son of a shoe industry entrepreneur, Brannock ...
Survive the storm? It was close to six when the cleaning lady said the storms were a’coming. Drove straight home. Ceil made fixings for a taco salad. Cleaned up some and watched The Voice while playing on my laptop.

Weather reports came on with increasing frequency, and took over at 110 pm. I went out and cleaned out the garage so I could pull my car inside. Matthew arrived home from work about 10:30 and pulled next to the garage doors. Then storm was set to hit us at 11 pm. At 10:45 M’s friend Frank walked in. He didn’t know about the storm, but had seen lightning in the sky.

I stayed up watching the weather until almost midnight. Looked like the worst of the storm went south of us. Matthew and Frank were cooking in the kitchen. Whenever the oven is on Barney is concerned the smoke detector will sound, a noise he hates. He was hanging near me. When I went to bed at almost midnight Barney stayed downstairs, perhaps hoping for a scrap of food. When he came upstairs he laid down next to my side of the bed where there’s more room. Once when I got up to go into the bathroom he went with me, something he never does.

Got a late start Tuesday, made later by Matthew and Frank’s car blocking my path. No trouble getting to work.

Unfortunately a tornado did damage my customer’s warehouse last night in Augusta, causing roof damage and a gas leak. They’re not working today and possibly tomorrow. No injuries, but one of our employees’ car turned over. W&MC heard the storm in Augusta, but suffered no damage. My customer is over ten miles away on the other side of town.  

Ceil had a rough Tuesday so we went out to eat at Pappasitos. Crowded and loud but delicious melt in your mouth chicken fajitas. Quick service as well. When the waiter said the special was fish, I replied that I was allergic to fish. I shouldn’t have. They made a huge fuss. The manager stopped by the table to ask questions. And it was so loud it was hard to hear.

The only problem with Pappasitos is that the parking lot is always jammed. Most of the cars want to turn left to get to the interstate. One car cut me off. Coworker Chris reminded me of the secret: take the back exit.

Stopped by Whole Foods on the way home. Watched Modern Family. The new little boy on there is a breath of fresh air, and steals the show. Then another excellent episode of Chicago Med. No Christian-bashing this week.

On the way to work this morning a pickup truck zoomed past a stopped school bus with its lights flashing. Big no no. Later the same truck roared past me, changing lanes where it barely had room. Of course I kept catching up to the truck at every stop light.

When human resources sent out an email ending with “carpe diem” I wanted to respond “sic semper tyrannis!” Maybe not a good idea.


Big news for me – bad news for you. I was set to go to next Tuesday’s Braves game, an intersquad game against Braves minor leaguers (including presumably Acuna). Was going with three guys from work. But this morning we were instead offered to swap tickets for Monday’s game against the Yankees, so we jumped at it. I’ll give you a full update.

No comments: