Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

In school I learned about Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, and ever since I sometimes wonder if I am affected in any way in regard to them. Maslow theorized that the more basic needs must be met before an individual could focus on the higher levels needs. Since his work was published there has been much debate, further study, and alternative theories, though this hierarchy is a good basic outline to go by. The needs are, from lower to higher…  

PHYSIOLOGICAL: breathing, food, water, sex, sleep, homeostasis, excretion

SAFETY: security of body, employment, resources, morality, the family, health, property

LOVE/BELONGING: friendship, family, sexual intimacy

ESTEEM: self-esteem, confidence, achievement, respect of others, respect by others

SELF-ACTUALIZATION: morality, creativity, spontaneity, problem solving, lack of prejudice, acceptance of facts

Makes me wonder if people may “peak” – eventually achieving some or all of the higher level needs, then perhaps backsliding as they age. Sometimes I wonder if I’m not as creative or spontaneous as I used to be. Much less as moral, unprejudiced, accepting, or as good a problem solver. Or as good a driver.

Then I remember that the only thing I need to God. He is the One who can meet my every need.

No comments: